I deecided that i am going to throw caution to the wind and just write. Maybe someday I will have followers but for now, at least there is no audience for me to anxiously fear will deescover my incompetent writing abilities. I begin with a story about me an my sister.
First of all, my sister is gorgeous. She is a mixture of Meg Ryan, Kelly Ripa, and the actress who played Sara Conner in the terminator movies. Dammit all, i can not remember her name (LINDA HAMILTON! that's her name btw!), but anyway. She, my sister, has always been picture perfect, athletic, way above average intelligence and talented. My skill has always been to make people smile. Ask anyone who knows me. I make people feel comfortable, safe, and for lack of a better word, entertained. I have always been round, dimpled cheeks and all which made it difficult for people to take my heavy metal, punk ass seriously. I was the girl who was "awwww, you're cute" like a puppy or a kitten. No matter how high i teased my hair or how short or tight i wore my clothes, i was still, "just adorable."
Not my sister, homecoming queen and cheerleader, she had stunning green eyes, perfect body, and hair like Stevie Nicks in the 80's. I would get comments like, " YOU are Lisa's Sister???!!! You don't look a thing like her!" With my chub, thick glasses and awkwardness, i would smile and that endeared, oh-she-is-as-cute-as-a-little-ewok look would wash over them. Oh, and i could sing. At least i think i could sing. I look at American idol now and i see all of those people who truly think they can sing and i wonder if i was one of those but anyway, people told me i could sing.
Just so you know, I love my sister a whole big bunch. Sure, she tormented me and we fought as children but she is an amazing friend, mom and human being. She has struggled with her perfections. In the words of Ani Difranco, "cause everyone harbors a secret hatred for the prettiest girl in the room." It's true, she suffered a lot of torture from the jealous girls around her which has left it's mark even today rearing it's ugly head in her anxiety. One of my fondest childhood memories is when i would get to sleep in my sisters room. She is four and a half years older than me so when she would let me hang out with her, it was always a dream come true. We would giggle, she would share the secrets of the older set. I would feel so special. When she would finally fall asleep, i would just lay there silently, way too excited to close my eyes. I am sure my poor mom had to deal with a sleepless bear the next day and that is probably why it didn't happen very much. When we had our little mini-sleepovers, my sister and i, that is when we forged our friendship. Even though we are over 6,000 miles away from each other, i think of her everyday. I hope someday in our old age we will be able to live near one another and together we can yell, "get off my lawn!" and shake our canes in our plastic lawn chairs like Mrs. Georgiana.
That is it, the first entry. I have officially blogged. It was fun :)

No comments:
Post a Comment